Hands up who knows what this is?
Well done those of you who do; give yourselves a pat on the back. Those of you who think it sounds like an investor report, you may want to read on. Particularly if you’re trying to sell your house, and you’ve never been shown one.
The Rightmove Property Performance Report is available to all those estate agents who use Rightmove.co.uk to advertise their properties. What this report can show is:
- How well your property is ‘performing’ in terms of the number of times it appears in a buyer’s search on Rightmove.co.uk
- How that compares with the performance of that agent’s other properties
- Available to display the last week, fortnight or four weeks
In addition, the report displays your ‘click-through rate’. This represents the percentage of viewers who click on your property advert to look at further details. The national average click-through rate is currently around 6%, which you can take as a bench mark, against which you can measure your property, and indeed your agent.
Statistically, there is a direct correlation between the click-through rate of a property, and the viewings generated on it. So it is of paramount importance that activity remains as high as possible.
So what can you do if your property is performing below par? Well, the first place to start is with your agent: share your thoughts and concerns with them, and ask them for their advice. They could suggest changing the front photograph, re-writing the introduction on the front page, or even give your property advert a rest for a week or two. After each change, ask your agent to produce a new report and analyse it to assess the impact it makes. In addition, ask your agent to compare your property with the ones that are performing best with the branch, and see if you can replicate any features of their advert.
Tricks that I’ve used to improve the Click-through Rate include:
- Keeping the front page introduction to one snappy headline;
- Changing the main photograph for one which doesn’t show the property at all, but instead just the front door, or name plate.
- Including some unusual information in the front page introduction, eg ‘The only property in Surrey with a well in the downstairs toilet’ (probably best you make your statement truthful)
- A question is always eye-catching: eg “wouldn’t you love to watch the sun go down sitting on this balcony?”
So, if you haven’t seen a Rightmove Property Performance Report before, call your agent right away and ask for one; if he’s in the dark, ask him to call me and I’ll explain. Then you might want to think about finding a new agent. After all, this is the digital age, and informed sellers will always have the edge.
If you’d like my help to sell your home more effectively, please answer a few short questions here and if I think I can help you, I’ll be in touch
What to do next: Sign up to my Selling Secrets http://www.home-truths.co.uk/selling-secrets